Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My mixed breed (lab and german shepherd) 10 years old. Has

Customer Question

my mixed breed (lab and german shepherd) 10 years old. Has an open wound on her back leg. Had the cone on for 4 weeks and had the leg bandaged for two of those weeks. Now she is back to licking it again and we are back where we started from. Is there anything that I can put on the wound (a bitter substance) that will discourage her? What about the liquid bandage that is available from human use ?? Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Jim
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jim and thank you for using this site to help you. There is a product called Grannicks bitter apple that can be sprayed on wounds , but since she is determined to lick I would put the cone back on and put antibiotic cream on it daily after washing.

There is a liquid bandage for dogs you can get at Petco, but she may still chew it or lick it off, so the cone would still be a good idea until the area heals up.

http://www.petco.com/product/120254/RemedyRecovery-Liquid-Bandage-For-Dogs.aspx

You want to make sure to that the wound does not have a deep infection that requires oral antibiotics to clear up.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I hope this has been helpful to you and your experience here was a pleasant one. Please don't forget to rate the service before you leave so the company compensates me for my time