Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a 9 year old yorkshire terrier who is suffering CUPS.

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** i have a 9 year old yorkshire terrier who is suffering CUPS. She is on antibiotics and steroids but doesnt really work. her mouth is very inflamed and watering. also she is extremly bloated with steroids. would you have advise what to do, how to help her because im really worried about the steroids side effects. is there any other way to treat CUPS?
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Does Mila currently have plaque on her teeth?

When was the last time she had her teeth cleaned?

Has she ever had a biopsy of the gingival tissue?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she had her teeth cleaned yearly. every January. she was neutered in January this year. but at the start of summer she had really bad smelly breath and didnt eat for a week. so we took her to vet and they realised she had a big ulser beside her back tooth. she had her teeth cleaned again in september and biopy and blood test and ultra sound . her kidney is ok, biopsy came back clear. she cant get her tooth removed because her jaw would break. vet refused detal surgery as she is too tiny and probably wouldnt survive.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

If she truly has CUPS disease, there are basically two options. First is to continue with aggressive oral health care employing a combination of home care (brushing the teeth) and frequent (every 6-12month) veterinary dental cleanings. This starts with a detailed exam, probing and charting of each and every tooth along with whole mouth intra-oral dental radiographs. All teeth with significant periodontal disease or endodontic disease should be extracted. The remaining teeth should be cleaned thoroughly above and below the gumline. There is no doubt that small patients make this a challenge, but in the hands of a specialist, this should not pose a major risk and with no underlying health issues, an anesthesia and an extraction should not be a concern and is the only way to control this disease (and much safer than steroids).

I would strongly urge you to seek the expertise of a veterinary dentist for additional care for Mila. This is a frustrating disease for sure and often is not cured until full mouth extractions are performed. If the idea of even a one tooth extraction is a risk, you definitely should be dealing with a specialist.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z