Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Siberian husky mishka had an infected paw about 4 weeks

Customer Question

My Siberian husky mishka had an infected paw about 4 weeks ago, she had antibiotics for 10 days an it cleared up. Yesterday I noticed it red an swollen again , I've taken her back to the vets an she's on another course for 7 days. But I'm wondering whether there is something stuck in it, an was wondering what a kaolin poultice is an whether it would be worth trying this before surgey?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me, please, if you live where plant awns (foxtails, e.g.) are a problem: ? If so, poultices are rarely effective; instead, surgical exploration is indicated. (Please let me know if the image of foxtails can be seen by you.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we mainly do pavement works this time of year

Thank you for the additional information. To answer you directly, a foreign body should always be suspected when a localized swelling in a paw only temorarily responds to antibiotics. Interdigital pyogranulomas should be considered as well. Can you upload a close-up photo of Mishka's paw to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.