Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

About 3 weeks ago my 1yr old ridgebacks mouth swelled and

Customer Question

Hi, about 3 weeks ago my 1yr old ridgebacks mouth swelled and dropped a bit. She is completely herself in every other way and showing no signs of discomfort. The vet has had her on antibiotics and anti inflammatory but nothing has helped. The colour is also different the normal side is black and the swollen side pink. Any ideas what this could be. I am worried about her. Her face is totally lopsided. Poor thing!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian in the US who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup hasn't been feeling well. That is definitely an odd set of symptoms for such a young dog. Keep in mind that the absolute best person to advise you on what to do next is the veterinarian who is examining her. Sometimes what I'm picturing from a short text description is entirely different than what it actually looks like in person, so there are definitely limitations to how much I can do for you in this venue.

If there's abnormal tissue there that is a "growth" and it's not responding to anti-inflammatory and antibiotic treatment, your next step is probably going to be biopsy to see what that tissue actually is. It'd be unlikely to be cancer in such a young dog, but I have seen tumors and cancers in young pets, as unfair as it is. I'd also be considering dental disease like an abscessed or fractured tooth, but again this depends on what it looks and feels like in person. With cases like this I usually start the medications and then want to owner to bring the pet back in at the end of the medicines to see whether we got a response of any kind. If we didn't then that's when I discuss a plan moving forward - whether that be biopsies or something else like an ultrasound or more advanced imaging like an MRI or CT scan. So my suggestion would be to have her re-examined at your veterinarian.

I hope that this info can at least give you some talking points with your vet at her recheck.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate that without seeing her it is very hard to assess accurately. I have already thought of all the things you have mentioned purely from researching myself online. I was hoping for more specific suggestions. The swelling is not like a lump or growth it is the hole floppy part (to use a technical term) of the mouth top and bottom of the jaw and as I mentioned there is no pain when touched at all.
Thank you for your help. Maybe I was clutching at straws with an online diagnoses.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that I can't be more specific without seeing her. If your vet is looking at her in person and isn't sure what to do, then I'm definitely not going to be able to make specific suggestions. Sorry for the delay in my response here but I wasn't notified that you'd replied since the thread was closed by a moderator. I just wanted to let you know that I wish you all the best in sorting out what's going on. I'd love to know what they find for future reference if you're willing to keep me updated. It's definitely something unusual based on your description!

Take care

~Dr. Sara