Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I have a little Shiba Mix who is 13 pounds and my other dog

Customer Question

I have a little Shiba Mix who is 13 pounds and my other dog which is a puppy rolled her while playing and she tore the tendon in her foot. It's where her foot and wrist meet. I've read conflicting advice and don't know if she should have surgery or just wear a cast for a couple of months.
The doctor said it's torn between the tarsal and meditarsal.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Dot. I am happy to help you this evening. Since she is so young attempting to allow this to heal with a cast or splint for a few months is really reasonable. A lot of the time these will heal on their own and they will do really well. Then if after a few months the tendon does not heal surgery will be necessary to repair the tendon. But if it heals then you avoid surgery which is always best if possible. Even with surgery it will be months to heal and recover. But with that said then if the foot is really unstable and painful and Dot does not do well with a cast then surgery may be an option but not the ideal option initially. it is always recommended to avoid surgery if possible due to possible complications.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dot. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead