Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Our dog is roughly 60 days into her pregnancy, and is

Customer Question

Our dog is roughly 60 days into her pregnancy, and is starting to lose her stomach fur, how long prior to birth does this usually happen?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

hi,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

It usually happens earlier than this around the 7th week of pregnancy. If she is 60 days pregnant you are in the final week of pregnancy and should be able to feel pups moving inside of mom when she is laying on her side.

You will want to provide her with a whelping area away from the other dogs and I'd keep the other dogs away from her from now until at least a week after she whelps. I personally don't let other dogs around my female when she is with pups as they can be very aggressive toward other dogs. Let me give you a site that goes over whelping.

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html

I'd also start taking her temperature. One way of knowing when your dog with have her puppies is to take her temperature twice daily at the same time each day as her due date gets close. Keep a record of this. A dog’s normal temperature is between 101-102.5F degrees. Her temperature may rise and fall during this time, but once her temperature falls below 99 degrees, she should go into labor in the next 24 hours. The temperature drop is due to a reduction in serum progesterone levels and signals that the dog will start labor within 24 hours.

You can read about this at:

http://www.labbies.com/reproduction1.htm

Congratulations on your upcoming litter. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.