Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

I have an old blue tick hound,s eye drains and droops,it

Customer Question

Hello,I'm Patty,I have an old blue tick hound,his eye drains and droops,it just started a few day ago and at times it looks normal,he also has a swollen place on is ear flap that looks like it is full of fluid and is warm to the touch?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about your fellow Elvis's swollen ear flap and droopy, draining eye. I suspect that the two are related.

Does this swelling in his ear feel like a water balloon?

Has he been shaking his head?

Has he been rubbing his face or ear or scratching his ear more that usual?

Does he now or has he ever had an ear infection?

Does it look like the dog in this link below? (can be smaller but this will give you a general idea) https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSP22YeYjTDsYPXpDMZCd5QG6g7BWmHlY59N2ZcNY7t_OfZh7qG

If so then this is likely an ear hematoma. This happens when a blood vessel in the ear breaks and the area inside the ear flap fills with blood.
It is usually from them shaking their head/ears repeatedly from an ear infection.
But sometimes they just shake their head a few times, hit the ear on something and a blood vessel breaks leading to bleeding.

If it is very small (nickel size) it may heal on its own just fine as the blood is reabsorbed.
You can apply a cool compress for 5 to 10 minutes at a time to the swollen area the first 24 to 48 hours, then pat dry and apply cortisone cream (like Cortaid) twice daily to help reduce inflammation.

After 48 hours try a warm compress rather than cold to speed healing and improve circulation and then cortisone ointment.

But if it's larger then it may need to be drained and/or sutured so it doesn't refill.

If you notice any odor or increased waxy debris then he may have an early infection which started all this, and then he should definitely see his veterinarian for proper treatment no matter that size of the swelling is.

If he is scratching at his ear quite a bit or seems bothered by the swelling you can give him Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1mg to 2mgs per pound of body weight orally every 8 hours (two 25mg tabs per 50 pound dog every 8 hours). This will reduce allergic itchiness and can make him sleepy which should help him leave the ear alone.

If he is rubbing the ear or scratching at it placing an elizabethan (lampshade) collar is recommended so he doesn't further traumatize his ear, which could enlarge the hematoma.

I suspect that when he rubs his ear or scratches it he may be irritating his eye too, thus the draining. Dogs with an ear infection often have lots of secondary inflammation in and around the ear canal. The nerves that control the eyelid and some of the muscles of

eye run by the ear canal, so that inflammation can affect their function. Thus with an ear infection we can see a droopy eye and tearing. Sometimes this can also interfere with their ability to blink properly, and their tears may drip out of the eye rather than being distributed when he blinks. That can lead to a dry eye so that should be closely watched. It may help to apply artificial tears every few hours to protect his eye.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.