petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dog went to the groomer It had a 2 ye rabies shot in Az

Customer Question

My dog went to the groomer It had a 2 ye rabies shot in Az The vet told me in LA I needed another rabies shot Is this correct
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Every state is different in what their vaccine requirements are. In California, the first rabies vaccine should be given after the dog is three months of age, with a second vaccination 12 months later. Dogs should receive a booster vaccination every three years thereafter.

I hope that helps.

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you did not answer my question !! Since I had a 2yr rabies vacanation in Az do I need another in the sate of LA when it was done in 2014
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I misunderstood. If that was not his first rabies vaccine, then it would be effective for 2 years and so wouldn't need to be boosted until 2016. The booster he would receive then would be valid for 3 years now under California law.

I hope that makes sense.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.