Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is being treated and anaplasmosis with doxycline.

Customer Question

Hi my dog is being treated for lymes and anaplasmosis with doxycline. For a week now. I just saw she now has blood in her urine. I already called the vet. He said she probably has s bladder infection and although I already gave her the morning dose of doxy he said I didn't have to bring her in but to to start her on cephalexin now and have both antibiotics in her at the same time just for this morning and then stop the doxicycline tonight and continue her on the cephalexin for 10 days and then we will pick back up on the doxicycline when she is fine with the other. My question is will it be ok to have both meds in her at the same time this morning. I want to trust him in this but have to leave for work and I am worried. She isn't throwing up or having accidents or frequent urination. She wax s couple of weeks ago snd was tested for urinary problems harmones and also the lymes that's when we discovered she had lymes. The accidents stopped and she is holding her urine throughout the night. She is 105 lbs and 7 years old a German shepherd
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

There's no adverse drug reaction between the two antibiotics. We don't recommend treating concomitantly with them because cephalexin is a bactericidal antibiotic which kills actively dividing bacteria while doxycycline is a bacteriostatic antibiotic which stops bacteria from dividing which would make the cephalexin ineffective. (The clinical significance, if any, of this interaction has probably been overstated according to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, 8th Ed., 2015.) Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.