PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a 33 day old lab puppy with temp 106.3. Took m to vet

Customer Question

I have a 33 day old lab puppy with temp 106.3. Took him to vet this am. Received subcutaneous LR soln and shot of enrofloxacin. Did CBC but no results yet. What else can I do to break this fever
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Teresa, I'm sorry to hear about your little boy.

Have you checked his temperature again after the appointment? If so, what was the reading before and currently?

Did your vet send you with any other medication aside from enrofloxacin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Temp was 105.3 at vet. I just checked 4 hrs after we saw vet and that is when I got 106.3. No other meds

That's a pretty staggering temp for a youngster. I'm going to presume that since you haven't mentioned any other symptoms that this puppy has not suffered trauma, exhaustion from heat, is vomiting or having diarrhea, etc. In such cases, treatment is different.

Assuming that this is an acute onset of FUO (fever of unknown origin), I'm surprised your vet didn't want to keep him on IV fluids to help lower the temp and provide some variety of NSAID or medication with other antipyretic effect.

The risk we run with babies this young is that they're often too young for what a company would consider a "safe" age to use most medications but in the situation where it's life or death, those medications are often used.

Your veterinarian, as I mentioned above, may want to give a fast acting NSAID or other shot with antipyretic effect. For this reason, I'd avoid all NSAIDs you might have at home. Some online resources will recommend using something like aspirin, which can be detrimental to the health of a dog this young and may prohibit your vet from being able to use helpful medications in the near future.

That being said, I hope that your veterinarian provided care today with the plan of picking up care again tomorrow depending on how the CBC comes back. At this age, we have to worry about bacterial vs. viral problems. Issues like parvo and distemper aren't unheard of in babies this young, though it's more common as they age. What's more, the enrofloxacin shot won't help long term. It's a medication that does need to be repeated for course of treatment.

General consensus when treating a fever puppy is NOT to use cool water to lower their temperature. If the temperature keeps creeping up there, I'd highly recommending calling your vet's office, reporting the increasing temperature and inquire if they'd be willing to see your pup again for an NSAID/antipyretic medication. If this is an infection, the enrofloxacin will eventually do it's job but it will take much longer than your little one has available if his temperature keeps raising at an alarming rate.

Just checking in to see if you have any further questions. I hope all is well.