Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My small rat terrier is sick since two and half weeks ago,

Customer Question

hello, my small rat terrier is sick since two and half weeks ago, and she is taking medication but does not want to drink or eat.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Fio today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Can you tell me what you are treating Fio for and what medication you are giving?

Have there been any types of testing so far on Fio? Bloodwork? Xrays or Ultrasound?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has a bacteria, she is being treated with antibiotics.
all the testing have been completed.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what is infected? Where the bacteria are located?

What were her initial symptoms that led to the diagnosis of an infection?

Can you tell me what tests were run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was just wondering about the issue with the water and food. she has been treated already in two different places.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

I understand, but I am just trying to figure out if her not wanting to eat may be part of her illness or perhaps a response to her treatment. Antibiotics can lead to nausea in some dogs, so if she was eating and drinking before, then it is possible it may be a result of being on the antibiotics. If however, her anorexia started before the antibiotics, then it may be that her infection is not responding to the antibiotics or that there is something else going on besides the infection that is causing her to not want to eat and drink. If that is the case, it may be necessary to have additional testing performed to see if whatever that is can be identified.

In the meantime, you could ask your vet about prescribing an appetite stimulant to see if that may help encourage her to eat better on her own.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Is he still circling and staggering or has that resolved?

Any recent changes to his diet?

After your response please give me just a few minutes to type up m answer