petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have an english bulldog 9 yrs old she has recently started

Customer Question

i have an english bulldog 9 yrs old she has recently started having health problems she is panting excessively and i found 2 lumps at the ront of her neck where my collarbone would be. how do i stop her panting thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Can you tell me what the medicine is that was prescribed for the swollen lymph nodes?

Did you vet indicate why the lymph node may have been swollen?

Was any bloodwork run recently?

Is she coughing? Does she seem in distress?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she was given doxycyline for the lymph node no coughing i was told sometimes a lymph node could swell from a bacteria she picked up somewhere blood work was run previously for another reason she just seems miserable she was also prescribed a type of zanax for anxiety
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

I don't think that there is much that can be done for the panting until the cause of it is identified. I am very concerned about the lumps that you found on the front of her neck. It is possible that they are lymph nodes as well as there are a pair located in that region. If that is the case, we have to be worried about the possibility of a cancer like lymphoma. This can lead to panting, especially if there is lung involvement. Of course there are other causes of panting including metabolic conditions, painful conditions other lung or even cardiac conditions.

I think your best course of action is to have her evaluated by a veterinary again and have a chest xray taken to evaluate her heart and lungs as well as having at least a needle aspirate evaluation of the lumps you are seeing on her neck now. If the swelling on the side of her face is still present, I would have that re-evaluated as well to see if it is possibly an infection or if it may be due to something else. In the meantime, there would be no harm in using the xanax, but if there is an underlying medical cause of her panting, the xanax may have little to no effect.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She passed away due to cancer
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to read this and that is what I was afraid of. Please accept my condolences.