Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a dog with a broken pelvis 2 spots and a broken

Customer Question

Hi lisa, I have a dog with a broken pelvis 2 spots and a broken pubis. Also he may have a broken sacrum. He j's 10 years old and has bad hips already. They want us to get a CT scan done but it's very expensive and not sure how its going to help. Can you give me some advice on what course of actions we have
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your Lab. The only reason I can see to have a CT performed is to find out if surgical intervention is necessary to return him to function and give him a reasonable quality of life. Pragmatically speaking, however, I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that orthopedic surgery would cost many times what a CT would cost and so if CT would be dififcult for you cost-wise, surgery is likely to be prohibitive in that regard. If your Lab doesn't show signs of paralysis at this time your alternatives are to keep him quiet and administer both a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug such as carprofen or meloxicam and a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol or, euthanasia if such treatment isn't sufficient to keep him comfortable or the husbandry needed for him isn't possible. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Christopher Bullard. How is everything going?