Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 6 pound Yorky has had some real dark chocolate stool that

Customer Question

My 6 pound Yorky has had some real dark chocolate brown stool that is very runny almost drippy throughout the house for about three days and I just noticed he is no vomited up a lot of phlegm with the pink days
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that our boy is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Any recent change in diet, including food, treats and human foods?

Has he been eating normally?

If you press on his abdomen does he seem painful?

Any chance he has eaten something he should not have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 2 yrs old and has a 100.4
Gums pink....yes he has eaten and the only change in diet was a carrot and turkey sweet potato protein treatment which I believe is the culprit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
his tummy is a little bit hard and tight
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been playing etc but today at the moment he's just lounging around very lifeless no spunk in his step
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Diarrhea can be due to many things the most common being

* Parasites

* Bacterial infection

* Eating something they should not

* Diet changes

* Pancreatitis.

In a small breed like this especially when we see abdominal pain we have to be concerned about pancreatitis. This is a fairly common problem in this breed and can be caused by a simple diet change or in some cases it is idiopathic meaning we have no real idea what this has developed.

Since this has progressed from just diarrhea to no vomiting I would have to suggest having him seen in your local ER today if at all possible. I say this because 1. small dogs can dehydrate very quickly from vomiting and diarrhea.2. Pancreatitis left untreated can be fatal.

If you opt to not have him seen today I would with hold all food for 12 hours. Then feed an bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for the next 3-4 days.

If you do not have him seen today and he is still not feeling well tomorrow I would then have him seen by our regular vet

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

I apologize that it seemed to take me a few minutes to provide you with an answer please understand that I do not used pre typed answers so it takes a few moments for me to type up an answer specific for your pet.