Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 12 year old Golden and I are on a cross country trip as

Customer Question

My 12 year old Golden and I are on a cross country trip as part of a move. He has not urinated since yesterday. He is eating and drinking normally and does not appear to be in distress. How long should I wait until taking him to an e-vet? Alternatively, is there something that I can to stimulate going? He has not defecated either. He has always loved being in the car.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Dogs can hold their urine for some time before it becomes an issue. Now if he was trying to urinate and unable to, then that would concern me more. That would be an emergency. I've had dogs that held it for 24 hours though when they got outside, they went. If he is panting more or in a car with the windows up, his fluid requirements might be higher than normal and thus he may not need to urinate as often. I wouldn't worry at this point, but if he doesn't urinate tomorrow, I'd have him checked over.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fergus. How is everything going?