Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog had diarrhea starting on Thursday night. He went

Customer Question

Hi Lisa, my dog had diarrhea starting on Thursday night. He went several times that night and even went in the house on our way outside because he couldn't make it. The last time he went was Friday morning. I immediately took his food away (it was a new brand that we had started 2 days prior so we suspected it to be the cause) and began a bland diet. He sleeps in the bed with my husband and myself and we keep waking up to a wet puddle at the end of the bed. He has never done this before. He is a 6 yr old Cairn Terrier. Any idea as to the cause?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello , the original expert you asked for is either not online, no longer working here, or no longer in the dog category. When you request an expert, the person you request has a lock/hold on the question before any other expert can take it, which can make your wait time longer.

Did you just start a new food and not do it slowly by mixing it with the old food?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

What brand of food did you change to and what were you using previous?

you are saying you are waking up to a puddle is it urine or vomit/bile?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did not do it slowly as we have never had an issue before. We just switched to Berkeley and Jensen (from BJs). The puddle seems to be urine. It doesn't have an odor though.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I would suspect it was a sudden change of dog food that caused the diarrhea. Some dog food have more fiber and as dogs age they can't really handle sudden changes like that. Has the diarrhea stopped?

As for the puddle on the bed. If this is happening when she is sleeping and does not realize it , then it may be incontinence. There is medication for this but to rule out a UTI, or other kidney disease bring in a sample of urine for testing.

This breed is prone to two renial problems and I will put the link below so you can read them over. I would talk to your vet about that as well/

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/selecting-a-dog/choosing-a-breed/choosing-a-cairn-terrier

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

As for the diarrhea, if you are changing the food do is slowly, 3/4 old food to 1/4 new food and gradually build from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The puddle on the bed and the diarrhea are not likely connected? Very strange behavior for my dog. I'm not sure if he is asleep when it happens or not because it always happens when we are asleep.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

in your original question you said the dog was a female. So it is a male?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

One of the renal problems can cause diarrhea and frequent need to urinate so that is why I suggest you talk it over with the vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I did not. If you go back and re-read what I wrote I frequently referred to "him" and "his". My dog is a male.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the diarrhea only lasted one night and cleared the next morning with the start of the bland diet.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I looked at the additional information where it said female. What I would do is go back to the dog food you used prior, and start mixing in the new that you want to feed him. Without the smell of urine it is hard to tell if he is not bringing up bile from the stomach or if it is urine. Either way the best best is to drop off a urine sample for testing of UTI or bladder stones to be on the safe side. If it is stones then a change in diet would be needed and possible surgery and it if it a UTI anitbiotics would be needed.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I would suspect you have two different things going on that are coincidence. you can try giving him a pepcid AC and see if there is still a puddle in the morning. I would also give him a small meal before bed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would his dose for Pepcid be?