Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My 12 year old female mini Schnauzer is very uncomfortable

Customer Question

My 12 year old female mini Schnauzer is very uncomfortable at the moment. For a few years she has had swelling in her armpit, and this has had more than one Fine Needle Aspiration with a diagnosis of lipoma. It is growing somewhat, but what is confusing is the fluctuation in size, and there are times (such as now) when it feels really tense like increased fluid and it bothers her a lot. I think it is painful because she is shaking a bit and trying to tell us how uncomfortable she is. Any ideas? And thanks!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr. RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. If it is a firm mass that is tender to the touch, this is not consistent with a lipoma. My primary concern is that it may be an enlarged axillary lymph node or an lipoma/seroma that could have become infected (i.e. become an abscess). Other skin masses (e.g. histiocytoma, mast cell tumor or other sarcoma) can also not be ruled out. Try your best to calm her down and keep as quiet as she can. My recommendation is that this needs to be examined and aspirated again asap. If she you are able to get her comfortable and her appetite is okay, then call her regular DVM on monday. If not, then I would be concerned about infection and/or inflammatory response. I hope this is helpful advice for you:)

Hello again, I hope little Heidi is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks

Hello, If you have any other questions about Heidi, please let me know and I will be happy to help you. If you are satisfied with my response, please take some time to rate my answer?

Please take the time to rate my response to your question about Heidi? Thank you:)