Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Dog ate some underwear Fri morning - through up a few hours

Customer Question

Dog ate some underwear Fri morning - through up a few hours later. Threw up 4 times today. Had eaten and used the bathroom typically. Do we need to take to ER?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

He is still eating and drinking normally, correct?

Was his vomiting after eating and drinking or before or both?

His bowel movement was normal?

What color are his gums?

Are they tacky or moist?

Is he acting pretty normal?

I was hoping to get a response back before replying. However, since you know your dog did ingest a foreign object and is vomiting repeatedly, it probably would be helpful to go ahead and have him seen. Symptoms of an obstruction are vomiting and often it smells and looks like fecal matter. an inability to defecate is also a sign but any fecal matter in the system would still be expelled so one normal bowel movement might still occur.

In some cases a dog may continue to eat and drink initially but as the vomiting continues and they become unable to defecate, there is usually a loss of appetite and some even stop drinking. So I would take the dog in and have them do contrasting x-rays to determine where the foreign object is and see if it is moving through the dog's system or not. Read about obstructions here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

The reason we get a dog in early is the longer a blockage is present the more damage occurs to the intestines and the more that may need to be removed if surgery is required to retrieve the object.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

Hi Brian Faughban,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?