Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

Why is my dog always holding s tail to thr right side? He's

Customer Question

Why is my dog always holding his tail to thr right side? He's a 3 months old doberman. And his tail is docked. He always do that, when walking, running, relaxing, etc. He can wag his tail, urinate & defecate properly, and he doesn't feel any pain when I touch or try to move his tail to the correct position (center) with my hand. He also can walk or run without showing any pain or difficulty.
Is it associated with leg or back injury? Sometimes when he walk, it seems that his rear right leg is a little bit stiff, doesn't extend fully like his left leg. And when viewed from the top, his hips are not level, one side is higher than the other.
What is the problem? Can he outgrow this?
I just got him two weeks ago from his breeder, and when I told them about the problem, they said he were normal back then. So I don't know wether the injury is caused by the long journey in wire crate when he travels here, or genetic structural problem.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Have you had a vet check him? I would like to know if a vet thinks the legs are even in length or if there is any issues with the lower spine. If that is completely normal I would find a veterinary chiropractor. I do a lot of chiropractic on animals and can usually help straighten the tail. I bought a 12oo pound horse as a 2 year old with a tail that stayed to the right. I was able to straighten her tail in about 6 months and it has remained straight for 10 years. So if a tail can be straightened on a huge horse it should be easier on a dobie puppy.

I am not sure if the tail become crooked in utero, if he has one leg longer than the other, or if he had an injury.

http://www.animalchiropractic.org/ You can find a veterinary chiropractor here

If he is suppose to be a show dog, where they are judged on the conformation, then you may want to return him in case his tail does not straighten out.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I forgot to tell you, I live in Indonesia, not USA. As you suggested, I already search for chiropractor in my area, but I can't find any. There are some chiropractic practioner for human in my area, but they refuse to work with the dog.Yesterday when my friends see my dog, he said maybe the cause is invertebral disk injury and also strain muscle in the legs. His dog also got this problems with same symptoms when he received the dog from the breeder after a long exhausting journey in a small crate. He recommend me giving my dog NSAID for the back problems, and muscle relaxant for the stiff leg.Is this true? Safe? Can I use NSAID amd muscle relaxant together? If yes, what brand of NSAID & muscle relaxant that safe for my dogs? And what is the dossage?Thank You
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Sorry I did not know you were in Indonesia. I do not know anything about what medications they have there so I am going to opt out and allow other experts to comment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dr Gabby. I'm sorry I forgot to tell you about my location.Another details I want to add, in my current city we don't have vets who have an x-ray equipment, we do have vets who have x-ray equipment, but it is located far in another Island. Car journey is not possible, I'm afraid the problems will get worse if I put my dog in a long aircraff journey again.