Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My German Shephard got a hold of some food in a baggie. He

Customer Question

my German Shephard got a hold of some food in a baggie. He started choking, it was dark outside and I tried to pull it out. Before I could he ended up swallowing what he had, baggie and all. Should I just watch for it to pass, or do I need to take him to vet
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Let me know if you have additional questions.

If this happened last night, then it has likely already moved out of the stomach area. There is the chance he will pass it on his own and it may take several days for that to occur. You will need to monitor him closely as he can develop an intestinal obstruction as a result. You will want to look for a loss of appetite, vomiting, and an inability to defecate. There may be diarrhea and abdominal discomfort as well. Often the vomit will smell much like fecal matter and even be dark in color as well. Read more on obstruction below.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

One thing I want to point out is that if you should see part of the plastic coming out the rectum do not pull on it or let the dog pull on it. If it is hanging, just cut it off at the rectum. You can injure the bowels by pulling on any foreign object exiting the rectum.

Now if your dog does start displaying symptoms of an obstuction, have him seen by your vet as soon as possible.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

I missed checking the rating button. I'll do so now.