Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 2 year old corgi ate a small decorative pumpkin last

Customer Question

My 2 year old corgi ate a small decorative pumpkin last night, and is now acting strange. She doesn't want to go outside, or hardly move. Her gums look normal, I havent taken her temp.Are they toxic to dogs?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Was this a real pumpkin that was eaten? Did it have things glued to it like ribbons and such?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Bruce.
No it was a real pumpkin the size was about 3"x3". No decorations on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm guessing on the size. It may have been a bit bigger.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that information. Real pumpkins aren't toxic to dogs. So that is good theta there were no decorations on it as those could be more of an issue with foreign material being eaten. The pumpkin itself could be a little upsetting to the stomach if enough was eaten though. If big enough pieces of the hull are eaten, could they cause a blockage? That is something to keep in kind of vomiting starts or an appetite Is lost for over 24 hits, then that concern arises. Hopefully things will return to normal here soon. I would keep feelings and watering the same.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

There really isn't anything to give to help this material pass. Time is going to be the main factor there.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

The biggest thing to indicate a possible issue here is vomiting. Hopefully that doesn't start up, but if it does then she should be seen by your vet.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wendy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Reagan. How is everything going?