Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 9wk puppy is sick with parvo been at er days. she has

Customer Question

my 9wk puppy is sick with parvo been at er for 6 days . she has very low blood count is there anything to help good the blood level?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not sure which blood count you are talking about. If it is red blood cells (RBCs) or white blood cells (WBCs) or platelets. With RBCs and WBCs, a blood transfusion is usually necessary to increase the count (works for platelets). With RBCs, they could use Epogen if they have any, but it is expensive. With platelets, that can be more difficult. Vincristine is a chemotherapy drug that can increase platelet counts. In all honesty, though, a blood transfusion is most likely all they have at their disposal. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.