Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a smelly ear and pus in it

Customer Question

my dog has a smelly ear and pus in it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

If in spite of the antibiotic drops and regular cleaning, Buffy's ear continues to be smelly and pusy, the ear canal needs to be cultured to see just which bacteria are present and whether yeast is also present. Chronic recurring otitis usually results from an underlying allergic dermatitis in Labradors and, if so, regular cleaning and medicating life-long might be necessary. It's particularly important in that case to use the very best antibiotic as determined by bacterial culture and sensitivity. Middle ear infection (otitis media) is another important consideration whenever chronic otitis externa (outer ear infection) is present. Otitis media is suggested when the eardrum isn't intact and when X-rays show that the bulla - the bony compartment of the middle ear - is sclerotic (scarred) and/or filled with pus. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Karen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buffy. How is everything going?