Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 13 year old maltese's tail normally is over her back.

Customer Question

My 13 year old maltese's tail normally is over her back. Lately, her tail has been down most of the time although does come up occasionally (without any indication of pain). She is eating, drinking, pooping, and playing normally but all with her tail down.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** i"m happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to ensure I give you the best advice possible...

Does she have any other health issues?

If you lift her tail up, does it seem to bother her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other health issues. It doesn't seem to hurt her if I mess with her tail although she isn't fond of it. This started in Halloween when she got scared
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Gotcha. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I suspect that she may have pulled a muscle or strained something either in her back, or right at the base of her tail when she got startled/scared on Halloween.

The good news is that although this is a pretty common issue, it's also pretty easy to take care of. The fact she's still eating/drinking/urinating/defecating/playing normally tells me that she's not too painful, which in turn makes me feel that we're not dealing with something more significant such as a slipped disc or injured nerves.

Normally we treat this with rest, time and (if the dog is painful) anti-inflammatories. Since she's not acting painful, I think we should go with rest and time. I would expect her to be at least marginally better in a week or so. If she's not, or if she becomes more painful, stops doing any of the things she normally dogs, or develops any other unusual symptoms, then you should have your vet take a peek at her, just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.