Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a chocolate lab,she is about 3 years old. My son got

Customer Question

hi I have a chocolate lab,she is about 3 years old. My son got home and said she was shivering than I noticed she's having trouble getting up. I'm worried because her mom just past away all of a sudden.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a few questions for you to better assess your situation.

Does she seem painful anywhere or does it just seem like she is weak?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is there anything you can think of that she may have gotten into?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No vomiting or diaharea but she did get into the trash ate left over chocolate cake.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like she is painful. If she got into the chocolate cake, she could have a severe pancreatitis or even showing signs of chocolate toxicity. With these potential concerns along with her symptoms, I would highly recommend getting her into see your vet immediately. They will need to run some blood work to look at liver, kidney and pancreatic function. At the vary least, they will most likely need to get her on some fluid therapy and treat for potential pain, depending on what their exam shows. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Penny. How is everything going?
Dr. John