Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have an 11 year old -haired dachshund that was diagnosed

Customer Question

I have an 11 year old long-haired dachshund that was diagnosed with anal sac cancer 4 months ago. The tumor is the size of a golf ball. The vet said, at the time of diagnosis, that the tumor was very aggressive and that surgery and chemo would not extend his life by much with any quality. He gave him approx. 2 months to live and it's been 4 so far. "Theodore" sleeps most of the days. He used to have little bouts of energy but now, in the last couple days, he shows no interest in his surroundings and sleeps, anything he eats... He vomits, has not defecated but a very small amount this morning, and his breath smells like stools. I don't want my baby suffering. When is the right time to euthanize him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

I am very sorry to hear about Theodore's diagnosis, as these can be quite nasty and difficult to treat tumors. In regards ***** ***** question, the key here is his quality of life. If he is not enjoying life as he once did and is miserable, then we do need to consider that this may be his time already. So, if he is not doing the things he loves, then we do need to appreciate that we are getting near to that time.

Though if he is not passing stool, vomiting, and lethargic; then we'd have to be wary of constipation causing a gut blockage secondary to the tumor being the trigger for his current stage. And with that in mind, you could consider having his vet treat his nausea by injection so that you can try to address the constipation for him (using a GI lubricant like Lactulose, Miralax, etc). And I would note that we do want to have that upper GI upset properly addressed since aspiration of GI lubricants into the lungs due to vomiting is something we'd absolutely want to avoid for him.

Overall, his signs of feeling so poorly do raise worries of this being his time. Though based on those signs, we do have this one concern that we could consider trying to clear to see if we can give him a bit more time.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.