Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Are shitzu keep peeing on our bed. Initially we crate train

Customer Question

Are shitzu keep peeing on our bed. Initially we crate train him because we work during the day. I take him for long walks in the evening and he has a doggie door and goes out many many times a day. Its to the point where my boyfriend wants to get rid of him what can we do and why is he doing it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is he neutered?

Is he drinking more than normal?

Has he ever been house trained?

Do you have a fenced yard?

What are you cleaning up with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
neutered
Not drinking more than normal
We only had him for six months he was a rescue so I'm not sure about ever being house trained. We crate trained him for a couple months and once we got a doggie door we let him out of the crate while we're at work.
We do have a fenced yard and cleaning with bleach and going over it with urine be gone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My boyfriend wants to get rid of him. He's a great dog except for that. Please help. I don't want him to go, to me it's like giving away one of my kids.

Thanks for the additional information. You need to sop up any urine there is and then use the enzymatic cleaner to help break down the protein in any urine still left to remove the odor. This can take soaking a little. Bleash is ok for hard surfaces but not always effective in other places.

One thing you can do is put the crate with the door open up against the doggy door so he has no choice but to either go out or sit in his crate. Faced with that decision, he should use the outside. It is important to know that you are cleaning up well. They make special lights that can detect old stains that might draw him back to an area to eliminate.

I would make sure he doesn't have a urinary tract infection. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms..

I'd go back to crate training him. The crate needs to be only large enough for him to lay down. Any larger and he'll eliminate in the crate. This will teach him to hold his urine and bowels until he can go out. The longer he can hold it, the better since many smaller dogs do not like to go out on their own. They frequently want their owners to go out with them.

You might also ask your vet to check for disc issues. Some long backed brees have disc issues which can lead to a loss of feeling in the rear area which can cause a bit of a problem with urination and even defication. The dog may not realize they are starting to eliminate until it is already too late to make it outside. both shih tzu and poodles can have disc issues. You can read about these here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

Now you can get a belly band. It can help with a dog having problems with incontinence.

You can see these here:

http://www.heartoftexasgreyhounds.com/bellyband.htm

You might also decide to set up a small area inside for him to eliminate. You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform.

I recommend sod because it keeps a dog eliminating on grass so they don't get used to using floor or carpet.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bedroom is Upstairs and he sleeps with me after my boyfriend goes to work in the morning for a couple hours. That's when he does it i assume, when I'm asleep. I always keep the the bedroom door open so he can go out. he never pees downstairs its always on my boyfriend side of the bed. If we ever kept the spare bedroom door open that's the bed he would pee on. Why is it on beds as opposed to the floor or anywhere else

Ahh. That is important. That would be marking behavior and him claiming the area where your boyfriend normally would be. Marking is a bit different than house training. That is going to require a different way of correcting it. Since you are asleep you can't correct his misbehavior which is normally how you could correct it. So yo have to be more inventive. You could use a scat matt on the boyfriends side of the bed once he leaves. He would need to put it on the bed where he sleeps and it would prevent the dog from getting on that side to urinate. See one here:

http://store.petsafe.net/scatmat-couch-size-12-x-60?

The alternative is to crate him during that time. For bed clothes, wash the sheets and comforter a minimum of two times and let the enzymatic cleaner soak in well. I usually let it soak in the enzymatic cleaner the first time for about 30 minutes in the washing machine, then use the bleach, the resoak again for about 15 minutes and rewash. That usually works to stop them being drawn back to the place.

The other thing is having your boyfriend work him on obedience. This will have the dog seeing him as the boss and you don't urinate on the boss' stuff.

The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

It will also create more of a bond between the two as well.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Manny. How is everything going?