How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rebecca Your Own Question
Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 13287
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Rebecca is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just ate a bunch of onion rings when I wasn't

Customer Question

My dog just ate a bunch of onion rings when I wasn't looking. How toxic are they?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Brandi. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Onions can be toxic, but cooked onions are less toxic than raw onions. How many would you say she ate? How long ago?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Approximately 10. About 15 Mins. age.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ago.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How much does she weigh? Taking a guess of 22 pounds, she would get sick if she ate 150 to 300 grams of onion (that is the onion, not the breading and fat,etc.) That would be 5 to 10 ounces of onion if she weighs around 22 pounds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She weights apx. 18 lbs. Deep fried onion rings.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I can go weigh an onion ring and see what it weighs; one moment!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far nothing has happened with her. I am suppose to go to Florida for a MUCH NEEDED VACATION!!!!! How concerned should I be???
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I don't have an onion to weigh!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you help me or should I take into an emergency vet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHAT should I watch out for? Signs?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

We could try to get her to vomit, since I can't determine how many ounces of onion she ate. I am trying to do the math, but it takes time! If you want to be safe, and to get her to vomit, give her a teaspoon of peroxide in some milk, and if she vomits the onions back up, she will be OK.

The signs of onion toxicity are anemia and weakness, but you may not see that for a day or so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I will try that. Hang on while I do. OK?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Still searching to find out if this is enough onion to worry about, so I am still here and researching.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

if she does not vomit the onions, it looks like giving her Vitamin C for the next few days will help prevent the toxic symptoms.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

200 mg of Vitamin C daily for a week or so will help prevent the toxic principle in onions from destroying her red blood cells.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gave it to her. No problem giving it to her, No vomiting as yet.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

It may take 5 to 10 minutes, and does not always work.

More research: you should give the vitamin C 2 to 3 times a day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will her stool be loose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think I should take her to emergency if she doesn't vomit?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

From the vitamin C? It could be.

More searching: I found a case of a 25 pound dog eating a large order of Burger King onion rings. It was just under the toxic dose.

And what I said initially is wrong: cooked onion are more toxic than raw.

If she does not vomit with peroxide, an emergency vet can induce vomiting with stronger medications and also give activated charcoal to absorb any onion in the intestines.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You could also call ASPCA poison control; they would be able to calculate the amount of onion she actually ate (They have a huge data base) but they charge for the call. (###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

They would know if she ate enough to get onion toxicity.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know - $60. Might as well take her in. ; (
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

The more I read, the more I am concerned that she ate enough onions to be worried about. If the peroxide does not get her to vomit, that would probably be best.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what else I can help with and what happens at emergency. I am still researching.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Called a vet, they said to give her another teaspoon of perioxide. Will try that.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if that works; I am still here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's not throwing up yet. ; (
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Some dogs are just tough.

How soon do you leave for your vacation? You could start the vitamin C, and have her blood counts checked in 24 to 48 hours.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are taking to emergency. TY
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Good luck; let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took Brandi to the emergency vet. $200 later, they gave her a shot to throw up the onions, which she did. Check her red blood cell count and will have her check again in 3 days. She is tired and a bit confused about the whole thing. They said she should be just fine. They didn't know anything about the vitamin C though. Said just treat her normal and keep an eye on her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW - She didn't even throw up on the way to the vet. Thought she might.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

She must be immune to peroxide, or perhaps your peroxide was old. Glad she vomited finally. Were there onion rings in the vomit?

I read about the vitamin C on Veterinary Information Network, recommended by the toxiclogists there.

Let me know if I can help with anything else. If I was helpful, consider rating me so the website knows I helped. Please do let me know how she is doing. Hope you both have a quiet night.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The expiration date on the peroxide was this month. Maybe that is why it didn't work. Yes, I had them bring me the vomit to check it. There were onions in it.Quite night - ME TOO. She is just tired now.Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If peroxide is not fresh and fizzy, it won't induce vomiting. Or, some dogs just do not vomit with peroxide.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is she today? I hope you get to go on and enjoy your vacation.

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brandi seems to be doing fine. Still a little tired. She scarfed down her morning meal (as usual). She has a Friday appointment with her vet. to check her blood.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Great! An appetite is always a sign she feels good. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

The only way the website knows I helped you is if you rate my answer, so I hope I was helpful. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How were her blood tests at your vet?