Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Dog may have consumed a small amout of stain 36 hours ago.

Customer Question

Dog may have consumed a small amout of wood stain 36 hours ago. Spill was cleaned up immediately but the dog may have licked boards containing stain. Dog is 40lb beagle. Ate a regular meal day after but on day 2 will not eat. No other symptoms.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Can you tell me the name brand of the stain?

Can you estimate how much Scout may have licked?

Any vomiting/diarrhea?

Any issues with urinating/defecating?

Is he still drinking?

How about if you offer him a high value food....a piece of peanut butter bread or cheese...will he eat that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stain is Minwax Dark Oak Stain Product
Scout possibly consumed less than 2 oz (we did not observe this)
Scout had diarrhea this morning
I observed scout urinating several times yesterday\
Seems to be drinking regularly
He ate a partial meal (no kibbles but gets about 3 oz of soft food with every meal and he ate that)Thanks for the quick response.
Paul
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great Paul. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I looked up Minwax wood stain (in dark walnut, but the color really doesn't matter) and according to the MSDS (material safety data sheet, which you can find here: http://www.minwax.com/document/MSDS/en/027426227163 ) and it does show that there could be come concerns if he ingested the stain.

It has been shown to produce cancer in humans and it does have a hepatotoxic component...this means that it damages the kidneys, and the problem with that is that it almost always takes several days for the symptoms to present it. The fact that Scout may have ingested it 36 hours ago means he falls right in the window of this being a cause for concern.

If this were my dog, and knowing that if left untreated kidney injuries can be fatal whereas ones that are treated do well, I would give your vet a call and have them do a little blood work to check his kidney levels. If they're fine, then they'll likely want to get him on some anti-nausea medication to make sure that's not what is causing this anorexia.

I'm hopeful that he'll be just fine, but getting those kidney values checked will be the first step towards a full recovery.

I hope this helps.