Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We had some one cleasning our bbq and I think my pup got

Customer Question

We had some one cleasning our bbq and I think my pup got into some of the pieces that would fall off when you brush the grill. I don't know for sure and don't know what he used. She started vomiting white spit...4x and then settled down. She ate and threw it right away. Now about and hour later has thrown up a small amount of the food but I could see some black specks in it .... it smells a little metallic rather than like the food. Should I just give her water and a stomach antacid? otherwise is fine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. It wouldn't hurt to give her something like Pepcid or Prilosec. Usually 2.5 mg per 10 lbs of body weight. That can help with some mild stomach inflammation. If she continues to vomit, though, I would highly recommend getting her seen by a vet. My concern would be more with dehydration and electrolyte abnormalities, and she may need something to stop nausea and fluid therapy. I would probably try to avoid feeding her anything for 12-24 hours past the last vomiting episode and give only very small amount of water at a time. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hi Karin,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Dr. John