Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My puppy keeps trying 2 bring something back up. I can see

Customer Question

My puppy keeps trying 2 bring something back up. I can see flem when hes trying. What should i do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How old is Romeo?

How long has this been going on?

Has he recently been groomed, gone to the dog park or been around other dogs?

Is he eating/drinking normally?

Could he have gotten into anything unusual?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hes 8 months. Only since 2nite. Hes been for walk 2day but had played with other dogs. Been eating fine. Had a chew thing 2nite and think its stuck. He keeps trying 2 hack it up i keep seeing balls of flem but he keeps swallowing it back down.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

If you think that he really does have something stuck in his throat (and those chewie things are kind of famous for having that happen), it might not be a horrible idea to have him seen by an emergency vet. What we don't want to happen would be for him to keep trying to gag that thing up and have it block his airway.

If you're not sure where an emergency vet might be in your area, you can go to: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

At the emergency vet, they'll likely want to lightly sedate him so they can get a good look down his throat and use a forceps to pull the object out.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Romeo. How is everything going?
Lisa