How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16168
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 70 lb dog ate 6 cylinders of cat poison - we just gave m

Customer Question

my 70 lb dog ate 6 cylinders of tom cat poison - we just gave him 7 tsp of peroxide - he threw up several times
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Do you know how long it was between when he ate the poison and when you got him to vomit?

Did you see the poison in the vomit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know the timeframe of when he ate the bait today- I think he ate it about an hour ago - he was fed dogfood at 2:30. He thew up several times and I saw green bait each time. Some had larger "chunks" of bait.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anything else we can do for him? Should we bring him to a vet?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Okay...great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since we think it was a while between when he ate it and when he vomited, we have to assume that he absorbed some of the toxin. Because of this, the safest route would be to have him seen by an emergency vet tonight so they can give him activated charcoal to help neutralize whatever poison is still in his stomach.

After that, they'll get him on a regimen of Vitamin K for the next several weeks to help bind to the toxin and get it out of the system.

You absolutely did the right thing by inducing vomiting...but having an emergency vet tonight will ensure he does well.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Primo. How is everything going?
Lisa