Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My pregnant yorkshire terriers puppies are moving alot i can

Customer Question

hi my pregnant yorkshire terriers puppies are moving alot i can feel them when am resting my hand on her side while shes sat on my knee also her tummy is hard and shes panting so much am to nervouse to take her temp dont want to hurt her this will be her first litter she will be 8+wks 2morrow
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr. RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. The normal gestation time in dogs is 63 days so she feels like she is close to giving birth, don't be afraid to start to monitor her temperature. Her normal temperature should be 100.5-103 degrees but about 24 hours prior to giving birth, it will drop to 98-99 degrees so you will know that she is close. The only accurate measurement is a rectally temperature. I would go to the drug store and purchase a digital thermometer that reads in 8 seconds (such as a Vick's thermometer). Have someone hold her head while you take her temperature rectally. Apply a little petroleum jelly to the tip; you cannot hurt her or the puppies by checking her temperature so no worries. I would also set her up a clean, dry, warm place with lots of bedding that is quiet with not alot of noise or human/animal traffic while she is in labor to keep her stress level down. Check on her frequently but also give her space. The general rule to go by when she goes into labor is that a puppy should be born within 2 hours of contractions starting and no longer than 30 min-1 hour should pass in between puppies. If this doesn't happen, take her in to your regular vet right away. Good luck with the new babies and hope this helps you? If so, please take the time to give me positive rating!

Hello, I hope that your little dog Deborah is doing well today? Please let me know if I can be of any additional help? If not, please take the time to give my answer a positive rating?

Hello again, I hope your little friend is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks