How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16351
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate chocolate on Monday and continues to throw up

Customer Question

My dog ate chocolate on Monday and continues to throw up today.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How much chocolate did he eat?

Was it chocolate in wrappers?

Do you know how long it was between when he ate it and when he vomited?

Is he eating/drinking normally?

How is he acting otherwise?

Urinating/defecating normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 2 lbs of chocolate, it was in the wrappers, we don't know how long it was between eating and visiting, he is eating and drinking normally, he is acting normal, and we have not seen whether he is peeing or pooping normal.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Is his belly hard to the touch, or soft?

If you press on his belly, how does he act?

Is he doing any vomiting immediately after eating/drinking anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He belly is soft, he roles over on his back like you are going to rub his belly when you touch it. No he isn't vomiting after he eats or drinks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When he threw up last night it was mainly stomach bile.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But he is eating Iams dry food normally.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since we're not sure how long it was between when he ate the chocolate and when he vomited, we have to be worried about the possibilty of chocolate toxicity. Chocolate is very toxic to dogs, and usually even a small ingestion often requires a trip to the emergency vet for a stomach flushing and fluids.

Since he's otherwise acting normally, I don't feel like you need to rush him to an emergency vet today, but I would strongly recommend you have him seen by his regular vet when they open tomorrow. They'll run a little blood work to make sure that he's not having any problems with his kidneys (chocolate toxicity targets the kidneys and symptoms to start with are often occasional vomiting), and possibly want to get him on some medication to stop the vomiting.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Trapper. How is everything going?
Lisa