How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sally G. Your Own Question
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 9443
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Sally G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 47 lb. 1yr old lab hound mix ate a small piece of

Customer Question

my 47 lb. 1yr old lab hound mix ate a small piece of halloween candy in its wrapper on our walk this morning. I think it was mounds, but not sure. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years and am trained in pet first aid for aiding animals in disasters. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, thank you!
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

What time was this?

Are you seeing any symptoms of illness?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 30 minutes ago. No symptoms, I think she will pass it, but years ago I had another dog eat 9 chocolate cupcakes and the emergency vet told me to induce vomiting with peroxide. Just want to deal with this before she has an obstruction. I would speak her vet if it wasn't Sunday
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Actually it is the chocolate (semis sweet) that is toxic to dogs so that may be why your vet had the dog vomit.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Was this a full size bar or one of the mini ones?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think fun size about 1.5 inches. I'm not as concerned about the amount of chocolate as I am the candy inside the wrapper. If it was just a wrapper, I'm sure she would pass it and if it was the chocolate, probably not a whole lot of chocolate in that candy. If the wrapper stays intact it is about the size of a small matchbox car and probably not able to go through her.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

If we go by the Hersheys chart is shows mounds normal bar serving of one ounce,

https://www.thehersheycompany.com/our-ingredients/what-we-believe/ingredient-information/ingredient-topics/caffeine-theobromine.aspx

Then we look at the toxicity chart for a 45 lb dog and there is virtually no risk . I would keep this chart handy for future use:)

http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

The fact that he found the wrapper and there may have been only a small piece he should be okay; If he at 2 oz then you should seek medical care.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

different types of chocolate are more toxic than others

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thank you
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kathleen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lilly. How is everything going?
Sally G.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is fine,thank you! I followed up with her vet on Monday and he pretty much said the same thing as you. Thank you!!
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to hear that:)