Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has had what we thought was a virus that started

Customer Question

My dog has had what we thought was a virus that started yesterday. Now he has diahrea and it has a horrible order and the last time it was all blood. He's 2 years old and a king charles spaniel?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, since Imodium can be dangerous in high doses, can you tell me how much Maximus weighs? How long ago did you give it? Was it 6mg in total?

Any chance he has eaten something he should not have (ie bones, plants, chemicals, human medications, etc)?

Has he been vaccinated?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Is his belly tense or tender if you press on it?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but do want to leave my thoughts in case you are having an issues replying. Now we need to tread with care here. If you gave him 6mg just now, that is a very high does for a dog his size. In fact, this drug has such a small safety range of dogs, we usually only give 0.04 mg per pound. Therefore, if he has had this much, we need to monitor for any signs of depression, lethargy, changes in his breathing or signs of nervous system stimulation (ie shaking, tremors, seizures). And if did have any of these signs, we'd need him seen for that overdose on top of his current issues.

That aside, we don't want to use Imodium or any anti-diarrhea treatment with the diarrhea type you have described. This is because the viruses and bacterial agents that could cause this are those we don't want lingering in the gut. This is because our bacterial concerns like Salmonella and Campylobacter both can cause what you are seeing but also secrete toxins that could make him feel worse. As well, the viral concerns for hemorrhagic diarrhea (ie parvo, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, rotavirus, distemper) can gain access to the blood stream if we are not flushing them out. Therefore, we don't tend to use these unless we have tested the stool and are sure that these are not present.

Now in regards ***** ***** here, I must say that with your description, we'd really want to be proactive here. We'd want his local vet to check him, assess his hydration, test a stool sample, and at least start some symptomatic care (ie antibiotics +/- IV fluids, etc). If there is any delay in this , you can at least start him on a light diet as this will be better absorbed and reduce diarrhea from that end. Specifically, you can use rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese. As well, we need to encourage him to drink since there is a dehydration risk here. So, do offer water or you can flavor his water with low salt chicken broth or lactose free milk. If he isn't having any nausea, syringing fluids (aim for 48ml per kilogram per day plus an amount to match his diarrhea losses) is also something you can do.

Overall, these signs are quite worrying and do raise some real concerns for Maximus. Therefore, I do think this is a case where we don't want to let this linger at home. So, it is best to have this seen to sooner rather then later. That way we can nip this in te bud and get him feeling better as quickly as possible.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ifyou have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maximus. How is everything going?
nekovet