Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My dog is new diabetic we give m 3units twice day he eats

Customer Question

my dog is new diabetic we give him 3units twice day he eats w/d food he was fine last 2wks today he seems depressed & doesn't act as he has, I feed him 13oz can daily half morning with insulin half at night is that enough he ate dry loosely like snack but not today. can u advise me
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Did he eat well this morning? You give him the insulin both morning and night correct?

How much does he weigh? And do you leave the dry food out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he weighs 26 lbs no food never left out. yes he ate wet food w/d bout 12 all of it lick bowl like he wanted more. insulin is given 9-10 am & night 9-10pm
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Did the vet tell you to have him eat before you give him the insulin? Does he need to lose weight or his his weight good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
actually he didn't say but its usually no more then 30 mins apart but now his weight good he was over weight before. I just don't like seeing him sad he been so lively all these days terrible see him and we are low income on disability but I made sure he has all needs medicine & sciencediet w/d food. he has f/up 11/3/15 at humane society clinic
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** wanted to make sure because you mentioned you give him insulin at 9-10 am and he ate at noon. So, always wait until he eats before giving the insulin. If he he does not eat all the food then no insulin. The insulin is to bring his blood sugar down after he eats. So if he does not eat, or does not eat 75% of more of the food then he does not need insulin.

If he is not over weight, and weighs 26 pounds, then the feeding instructions for canned W/D are 1 3/4 to 2 cans a day.

W/D is for weight control. You can remember it because W is for weight.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

If he seems depressed his blood sugar may be too low.

You can try feeding him more of the W/d.

Or you can try putting a teaspoon of karo syrup, pancake syrup, or honey in his mouth.

He should perk up 20-30 minutes after that if he is lethargic due to low blood sugar.

How does that sound?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Samarai. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby