Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 4 month old female that has a cracked tooth and she

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old female that has a cracked tooth and she has low energy level. Is the low energy level due to the tooth? she will eat only if food is watered down.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If she has a cracked tooth that has exposed the nerve, this can cause pain which could reduce her appetite and make her feel unwell. Or if there is an associated tooth root abscess, this too could cause these kinds of signs.

In this case, if Hudson is feeling unwell with this, it is worth having her seen at this stage. Her vet can assess the tooth, determine if it needs removal (some will to address this) or if it can be managed with dog safe pain relief +/- antibiotics. As well, in the meantime, I would suggest continuing to offer watered down canned puppy food or you could use an OTC liquid diet like Clinicare or Dogsure to keep her taking in nutrients. As well, her local vet can dispense a calorically dense diet like Hills A/D or Royal Canin Recovery diet for you to feed. Each has more nutrition per bite and will just help her get more in even if she is struggling.

Overall, dental infections and nerve exposing cracks in teeth can be very painful for our dogs (just as they are for us). Therefore, we do need to address this for Hudson to make sure we are keeping her eating comfortably while tackling this for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )