Lynn
Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  worked at a vet clinic for 15 yrs, trained and shown dogs most of my life, have a BA in biology
6035727

Our yellow lab is gagging and dry heaving, no foam, drool or

Customer Question

Our yellow lab is gagging and dry heaving, no foam, drool or pawing at her face. Nothing comes up with the heaves. She's up to date on shots including bordatella.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lynn replied 1 year ago.

Is her abdomen distended or hard feeling at all? Is she acting restless?

Thanks,
Lynn

Expert:  Lynn replied 1 year ago.

Also, how long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No distented stomach. It's been going on for about 15 hours, intermittently. She seems calm.
Expert:  Lynn replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I would recommend a visit to your veterinarian since this has been going on for this long already. My first concern was bloat, which is still possible, but not as likely if her symptoms haven't worsened in that time. She could be suffering from nausea, something stuck in her throat, kennel cough, or other less common culprits. Dogs don't always have every symptom of these problems, but may just show a couple. Without an exam there is no way to know for sure what it is. If you have further questions let me know.

Best wishes,

Lynn

Expert:  Lynn replied 1 year ago.

I also wanted to mention, that one drug typically used for nausea is famotadine (pepcid). Dogs are usually given 0.25mg per pound of body weight twice daily. If you wanted to try this first to see if it helps you could, and then go to your vet later in the day if there is no improvement or if her symptoms worsen or change.

Lynn