Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have 2 pugs 2 years old the female is pregnant saw them

Customer Question

hi
i have 2 pugs 2 years old the female is pregnant
saw them mating on sept 26
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is she starting to gain weight at all?

What questions do you have concerning this?

Jacustomer,

Dogs are pregnant about 63 days or so. You may not see any immediate signs of her being pregnant and your vet wouldn't even be able to tell you if she was pregnant until about 21 days after mating and that would require special testing. She should be starting to gain weight and you should have her on a high quality puppy food. That will supply her with the necessary nutrition to support herself and the developing pups. I would not do goats milk on a regular basis. The food will contain the calcium she needs. You can keep some on had in case the pups need supplemental feedings.

The following site goes over the whelping process and also goes through pretty much all the things you need to know about whelping and puppy care.

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html

I would suggest you have an x-ray done the last week of her pregnancy around the last week of November to see how many pups to expect.

If you still have questions or need more information, just respond and I'll answer as soon as I can. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.