Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy sounds like he has excess fluid in s mouth he seems

Customer Question

My puppy sounds like he has excess fluid in his mouth he seems to want to throw up but doesnt
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Do you mean he sounds fluidy in his throat?

If you mean his mouth, is he drooling?

Are you seeing any retching, gagging, or lip licking or hard swallowing?

Did his vet try any treatments to settle his signs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They gave him anti-inflammatory he threw up earlier and he sounds like he has fluid in his throat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Did they give that via injection? Or was that what he vomited?

What did his vomit look like? Was that the first time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there something to give him to remove this fluid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First he threw up what looked like food then he threw up clear fluid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They gave him an anti inflammatory injection which quotes the cough
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

First, this is not that straight forward. There is nothing that can remove fluid from this area, since its not likely why you are hearing what you are hearing. Any fluid in the throat would go down into the stomach via gravity or he would bring it up. Instead, you are likely hearing this because there is throat inflammation with mucus (potentially from aspirating fluid when vomiting). And I would note that an anti-inflammatory would be appropriate to reduce that inflammation. Further to this though, you can try to steam treat him using a nebulizer/humidifier or even running a hot shower and taking him in the steam (not the water). That can loosen discharge and get them breathing more comfortably and quietly.

Otherwise, if he is nauseous too, then we'd need to address that for him. To do so, you can ring your vet about dispensing anti-nausea medication for him. Or you could consider trying an oral antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Or if we wanted to coat that poor throat as well, Milk of Magnesia (0.25tsp every 8 hours) would also be an option.

Overall, you aren't actually hearing copious amounts of fluid in the airway (especially with what the xrays have shown). Instead, its more likely to be a case of inflammation with mucus causing these sounds. Therefore, he is on the right track but we can use the above to further soothe his signs.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )