Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My frenchie has a few ant bites on her paws which happened a

Customer Question

My frenchie has a few ant bites on her paws which happened a few days ago. Tonight though she is really agitated by them and panting and kicking everything. Is this normal or should we be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Ant bites can be quite irritating and cause our dogs distress. And if you had bandaged the paws, that may have been causing further irritation for wee Molly. In this case, I would suggest treating her with an antihistamine to reduce any irritation from the bites. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Further to this, if we do need to keep her from licking, she may be better wearing an e-collar for the short term or you may want to cover the feet with baby socks. The latter is better then wrapping since it lets the air get to the area and prevents secondary moist dermatitis (which is even more irritating). As well, if you are keeping those feet out of her reach, you can also apply an OTC hydrocortisone cream to those bites to help take the irritation away further.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )