Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My toy poodle hasn't had but a small bowel movement in a

Customer Question

My toy poodle hasn't had but a small bowel movement in a couple of days. Now she is panting, shaking, pacing, has a warm nose and is holding up her left rear leg intermittently.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Has she eaten any rawhides, bones, or non food items recently?

Is she eating and drinking?

Is there any swelling in the rectal area?

Does she have any vomiting?

I was hoping to get a response back before answering but I don't want your girl to continue the way she is.

Stop the pro=pectalin. It is an antidiarrheal medication and a side effect of too much is constipation. Read more here:

http://www.vetstreet.com/pro-pectalin-tablets

So if she was having constipation already and you give it, she'll get even more constipated. So lets tackle the constipation issue after we are sure it is not an intestinal blockage. If she has eaten a non food item, bone, rawhide or pigs ear, then there may be the possibility she has an intestinal blockage. I don't think this is the case, but only you know if she may have ingested one of these items leading to a blockage. You normally will see a loss of appetite, vomiting, possible diarrhea and obdominal pain with an intestinal obstruction. It is an emergency situation. You can read about it here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Now it is likely to be constipation as you suspect. If your dog is experiencing constipation on a regular basis you should add roughage to his diet such as canned pumpkin (not pie filling kind) or Metamucil. A spoon full of pumpkin on the dog's food should keep his bowels hydrated and his feces soft enough to pass. A one time use of a spoon of mineral oil on his food can also be used but should not be used all the time. This might be something you want to consider this time.

There are two methods I use for young puppies, which may work on your dog. I first try lubricating a rectal thermometer and take the puppies temperature. This frequently stimulates the puppy into going. If this fails and you have a nasal bulb syringe (aspirator), you can put warm water in it and gently squeeze a small amount into the rectum and see if this doesn't help as an enema. These methods tend to work on all dogs regardless of size.

You can use a children’s glycerin suppository depending on the size of your dog but the other methods are what I recommend you try first. For a tiny dog, I'd use an infant glycerin suppository.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.