Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 10 year old yorkie, spayed at 6 months, took her to

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old yorkie, spayed at 6 months, took her to be groomed. Monday, when she came home she acted like she had been drugged, lethargic, hard for her to walk and would not bark. We watched her behavior I did not like the way she acted Tuesday so we made a visit to our get. Stays were taken, nothing showing, get said she has arthritis and gave me Mexican to take home. She is still acting funny, hot to the touch, lethargic, shaking and real tight. Walking very slow, not eating, very tender everywhere. Sitting in the corner shaking and whining. This is a high energy dog who can still run and play on the beach normally. Should I seek a second opinion? Or would you agree with the diagnosis?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

When did she last eat?

Is she still getting Metacam despite not eating?

Any vomiting, retching, gagging, lip licking, or black stools?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

You noted that she is tender everywhere, does she seem very sore when you press on her belly?

Did the groomer give her anything or report her falling at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She ate Monday, her gums are pink, yes I just gave her medicam by syringe. She doesn't appear to have a sore spot on her belly. The groomed did not report anything. No vomiting.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Opal.

I appreciate that the xrays didn't find anything serious (which is good) but without a history of trauma, it is difficult to say why her arthritis would cause her bother now (since its not a new thing for her, if you know what I mean). Therefore, if she isn't improving on the Metacam and now we have a poor appetite, then we would be best to consider a second opinion or at least have her regular vet symptomatically treat for this anorexia (ie using anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants, checking for fever +/- treating with antibiotics if she has one). Especially since she cannot keep having Metacam if she is not eating. (since it can cause GI upset and stomach ulcers on an empty stomach) and since she sounds so uncomfortable.

Overall, her signs don't add up to what was found. Therefore, we'd want to consider having her reassessed and not letting this linger. At her age, checking a blood sample would be a good start (in case she has an organ issue present) and again we'd want to treat her to settle her stomach and address that lack of appetite. That way we can make sure we aren't missing anything but also doing all we can to get her eating and comfortable for us.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )