Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog swallowed a bone and blocked s intestine. he had a

Customer Question

hi my dog swallowed a bone and blocked his intestine. he had a small op to encourage the bowel to empty but is still trying to poo and can't and now he is bleeding. I think its from the anus as he passed a tiny stool this morning that was clean and although not hard was soft and good. if tiny.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B,a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago was the operation?

Was the bone actually removed?

How much blood are you seeing? A spoonful, more or less?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the operation was on monday.
yes lots of bone removed
about a spoonful
the gums are pink
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's a tablespoon ful
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - is anyone there???
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

I am in the midst of typing my reply.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

As I am sure you can appreciate, it does take a few minutes for me to reply fully. Though I will post what I have typed so far for you to start reading:

What I had been saying was, that I am glad to hear that the bone was removed and that it was just a small amount of blood seen. In this case, we'd be concerned that the blood you have seen is actually related to colonic inflammation post surgery and/or from his fecal straining. Therefore, if he is otherwise normal we'd want to start some supportive care to ease his passing stool and reduce these signs....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is otherwise normal - eating but not passing stools. playing with his ball etc.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

To start, we may need to consider ringing his vet to have them dispense an anti-inflammatory if he is not on one already. They can reduce inflammation to help him pass stool and to reduce the irritation that will be making him strain.

Otherwise, if you have not already, we tend to put these dogs on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And to help push feces through, we can add a spoonful of canned pumpkin or weetabix to those meals. Furthermore, we may need to also add a GI lubricant (ie cat hair ball treatment, lactulose, food grade liquid parrafin, etc) to those meals to ease any fecal passage...

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

If we do this and we don't see stool production improving, then we'd need to consider having a check +/- xray or ultrasound at this stage to make sure that everything is normal in that healing gut. Specifically, we'd want to make sure there were no strictures narrowing the inside of the gut (as those need to be corrected if they do arise) and that it is moving normally. If that is clear, then we'd continue the above as needed in this post operative period for ease of him passing stool.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank yo so much = tht's so helpful
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )