Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My black cocker spaniel has fur under mouth & near nose. The

Customer Question

My black cocker spaniel has white fur under mouth & near nose. The fur has gone a rust red colour all of a sudden.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any changes to the skin under this discolored hair?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr,Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

As I have not heard back from you, I do want to leave my thoughts for your return.

Now to this type of color change to white fur in these regions can raise a few issues. Still, as you reported no skin changes, we would be most suspicious of the hair being in increased contact with amylase. This is enzyme in the saliva and oculonasal secretions of dogs that often will give a rust to brown discoloration of light colored fur. It is not a worry but can be a sign of mild eye/nasal irritation (such to cause increased clear nasal discharge) or drooling (if he has a sore tooth or hasn't been as clean as usual when eating). So, we'd not be worried about this if it is a fur color change alone. Still, we'd need to monitor for those associated issues that could be causing him bother. Especially as we are not likely to see this fade if the underlying cause is ongoing. But overall, in regards ***** ***** question, this is not a worry if only the fur is discolored as amylase is our likely suspect.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )