Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 7 month old boxer has a large solid lump that fills my

Customer Question

Good morning my 7 month old boxer has a large solid lump that fills my whole hand under his neck it goes up and down but currently been up for a while a the biggest it's been, he seems well in himself eating and drinking. If it was an abcess woul it go up and down in size? Prob well off track but could it be a allergy to feed? Or something? I tried piriton and it had no effect so guessing not allergy. We are on holiday at moment and have him with us do I need to get him to a local vet ? Or can it wait until I'm home?
Thank you
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just added 3 pics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Couple more pics
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Thank you for the photos! This appears to be a sialocele - a fluid-filled, generally painless swelling caused by an accumulation of saliva that has leaked from a salivary gland or its duct into the subcutaneous or submucosal tissue causing a tissue reaction to saliva. This is best addressed by complete removal of the involved salivary gland/duct complex with ligation of the remaining duct and drainage of the sialocele and surgical site. An abscess is possible but the site is more suggestive of a sialocele and he doesn't feel ill as he would with an abscess. This isn't an emergency and can wait until you return home. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for reply is this likely to be an expensive job?

I'm afraid so but let's confirm what this is first. Your Boxer's vet will needle aspirate that area and see if saliva has, indeed, accumulated. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since this morning it's now nearly doubled in size :( and he looks very sorry for himself :(
Are we talking £100 or £100's for this op as he needs it done.

I can't know what you would be charged but you should be thinking 1500+. Always ask for a written estimate before anything is done!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?