Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My min pin has had diarrhea fir the party few hours. He had

Customer Question

Hi my min pin has had diarrhea fir the party few hours. He had only gone the times. The first tune when I got home from work, I found a large amount of stool in his bed heavily covered in a mucus like substance. The second time, about 2 hours later, it was very liquidy with what alerted to be a little bit of blood. It was very light and thin, and so was the blood. The third time it was in his other bed and it sounded like he was trying to fart but it came out very liquidy.
He hasn't been lethargic, actually been in god spirits, but I'm concerned none the less.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Messaging is fine, thank you

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear your Min Pin is a little unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you ...

Diarrhoea is very common in the dog and it is often a fairly minor sort of condition particularly where the dog concerned is still quite bright and happy as in your case. However this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog these can often work well where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some kind. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt given orally or added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A couple of teaspoons twice a day should be fine for a dog of your ones's size.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if your Min Pin deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much doctor

Hello again ,

No problem, very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your Min Pin's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his diarrhoea ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?