Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My terrier mix, he's 7 years old, has a very tight, hard

Customer Question

Hello, My terrier mix, he's 7 years old, has a very tight, hard abdomen. He's eating and drinking, and going to the bathroom okay. He's had 2 back surgeries removing discs. He's over weight, and when I pick him up, he's moans like he's in pain. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow. I'm worried it's something very serious, and have been in denial for the last couple of weeks, not wanting to hear he has cancer or something life threatening. What do you think it is? Thanks for any help, Shelley
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is not feeling well this evening.

Based on your history, I would wonder if he has back pain again? What other behavior changes are you noticing? Is he jumping on and off furniture normally? Is he lifting his head to look up at you or his he holding his head down and not moving it much?

My next thought would be abdominal pain. Usually, though, with abdominal pain, dogs will stop eating and become very lethargic. They may also have vomiting or diarrhea. Possible organs that would be involved with abdominal pain include the pancreas and the gall bladder.

Cancer is pretty low on my list of possible causes of his pain. Dogs are rarely painful from cancer and the first sign we usually see is not eating and drinking.

For tonight, do you have any pain medication left over from his back surgeries like Tramadol or Rimadyl? I would recommend giving him the prescribed dose to help him be more comfortable while you are waiting for his appointment tomorrow.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How was your visit to the vet today? Were they able to figure out where your dog was painful? Did they send home pain medications?

Also, if you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda