Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a 15yr old cocker golden mix who about 2 months ago I

Customer Question

I have a 15yr old cocker golden mix who about 2 months ago I noticed his tail perpetually being held high, stiff and to the side. He still wags it and doesnt seem to be in any pain. His vet didnt seemed to concerned about it on a recent visit, but I still am. What could be the cause of this? He also has developed anxiety issues as he aged. Could this be related? Pondering trying to get an appt with a vet chiropractor.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

The really good news is that Jake doesn't seem to be painful or in any sort of discomfort.

It's actually pretty common for dogs to lose some nerve function as they age. Sometimes this can look like a dog losing strength in the rear legs, making them fall over often, and some may lose control of their fecal material, so they're dropping feces everywhere.

In Jake's case, I suspect that either the nerves are functioning badly, or it's possible that the muscles in the tail are weaker on the side it leans to. Normally we don't worry about it unless it's compromising the way he defecates or if he becomes painful.

I hope this ehlps.